Monday, June 14, 2010

Feria Chica de Ubrique

English up top/ Español abajo

Unfortunately, I’ve never arrived in Ubrique early enough to attend the Feria (both years I’ve missed it by a matter of days). However, this weekend I got a glimpse of the Ubrique Feria as the neighborhood association of the historic district organized and put on a “feria chica” (mini feria) to raise funds for Haiti. When I was informed of the event and asked if I wanted to help/participate, I was thrilled. Not only was it for a great cause, but it was the perfect way to spend my last weekend in Ubrique, and the perfect excuse to dress up in the traditional gypsy attire.

While I didn’t have much time to attend the meetings or help prepare for the feria chica in advance, I was able to help make some decorations. The day of the feria chica, however, I was put to work. We decorated the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, filled cooler after cooler with beverages, set up bars, and scrambled to get everything done in time for the kick off at 10 pm. I was put in charge, along with a few others, of cutting the bread to make bocadillos (sandwiches). And boy did I cut bread. Together, we cut over 500 bread rolls Friday afternoon. Once 10:00 rolled around, I was stationed with my friends Marie Carmen and Pili to run the “duck” station. So, we filled a little inflatable pool with water, set a dozen or so little rubber ducks afloat, grabbed some “fishing poles,” and set out the prizes. No sooner was it all set up, than a constant flow of children wanting to “fish for ducks” started lining up. “One euro for two ducks…guaranteed to win a prize” we yelled. And yes, it may not seem like a very catchy slogan, but it helped us earn some 200 euros and put a lot of smiles on a lot of children’s faces. The event carried on into the early hours of the morning, but I left fairly early to rest up for Saturday, day no. 2 of the feria chica.

On Saturday, all the workers of the “feria chica” dressed up in traditional feria attire – flamenco/gypsy dresses or suits (for the men). I left my flat around noon, and felt like a complete idiot as I crossed town in my beautiful feria dress (which one of my friends had lent me). Finally, when I made it up the hill to the Plaza del Ayuntamiento and saw others dressed up as well, I felt a bit more comfortable. Nevertheless, as expected, I did hear a few “oh my gosh – look at the foreigner dressed up as a gypsy” comments throughout the day. But hey, I had a heck of a good time and was super excited to finally be able to dress up in an authentic Spanish outfit!!! I spent the morning cutting another 500 some bread rolls (I’m not sure I even want to look a bread for a few days! Haha) and the afternoon working at the duck pond again, and then in the afternoon/evening, just went around to see the other booths at the feria and enjoy some music. I was surprised, and pleased to see as many people enjoying Ubrique’s first “feria chica” as I did. It was a lot of work, and took the collaboration of a lot of people, but I think it was a huge success!!!!

* * * * * * * *
Por desgracia, nunca he llegado a Ubrique con tiempo suficiente para asistir a la Feria (ambos años lo he perdido por un par de días). Sin embargo, este fin de semana tuve la oportunidad ver una Feria en Ubrique, a resulta que la asociación de vecinos del casco antiguo organizó una feria chica para recaudar fondos para Haití. Cuando me informó del evento y me preguntó si quería ayudar o participar, yo estaba muy emocionada. No sólo era para una gran causa, pero era la manera perfecta de pasar mi último fin de semana en Ubrique, y la excusa perfecta para vestirme con el traje de gitana.

Aunque no tenia mucho tiempo para asistir a las reuniones o ayudar a preparar la feria chica de antemano, tuve la oportunidad de ayudar a hacer algunas decoraciones. El día de la feria chica, sin embargo, me pusieron a trabajar un montón. Decoramos la plaza del Ayuntamiento, llenamos los congeladores con refrescos, pusimos los mostradores, y intentamos a tenerlo todo listo en tiempo para poner en marcha a las 22:00. Me pusieron a cargo, junto con algunos otros, de cortar el pan para hacer bocadillos. Juntos, corrtamos más de 500 bollos de pan el viernes por la tarde. A las 22:00, estaba estacionada con mis amigas Marie Carmen y Pili para trabajar con la pesca de los patitos. Por lo tanto, llenamos una pequeña piscina inflable con agua, colocamos una docena de patos de goma flotando, llevamos unas cañas de pescar,  y organizamos los premios. Una vez que todo estaba bien puesto, un flujo constante de niños que querian "pescar patos" comenzó haciendo cola. "Un euro, dos patitos...premio seguro" gritamos. Con este eslogan simple, ganamos unos 200 euros y hicimos que un montón de ninos se sonreían. El evento continuó hasta altas horas, pero me fui muy temprano a descansar para el sábado, día numero 2 de la feria chica.

El sábado, todos los trabajadores de la feria chica se vistieron en trajes de gitana. Salí de mi casa alrededor del mediodía, y me dio verguenza al cruzar la ciudad en mi traje de gitana (que uno de mis amigas me habían prestado). Cuando estaba subiendo la cuesta de la Plaza del Ayuntamiento y vi a otros "disfrazados" también, me sentí un poco más cómoda. Sin embargo, como me esperaba, oí algunos comentarios de "Dios mío - mira la guiri!" Pero bueno, lo pasé genial y estaba súper emocionada de finalmente poder vestirme con un traje de gitana auténtico! Estuve toda la mañana cortando otro 500 bollos de pan, por la tarde trabajé otra vez en lo de los patitos, y luego por la tarde / noche, fui paseando para ver las otras casetas en la feria y disfruté de la música. Me sorprendió y estaba muy complacida al ver tanta gente disfrutando de la primera feria chica en Ubrique. Fue mucho trabajo, y tomó la colaboración de mucha gente, pero creo que fue un gran éxito!!

No comments: