Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hmmm...Paella!!!

After an extremely long day enjoying Carnaval fesitivies on Saturday, I decided to have a more relaxing day on Sunday. So, I went with a couple friends and a few teachers from the High School to a lovely country home for a Paella (a traditional Spanish meal/get-together), and enjoyed a nice sunny day in the country.



Well, I guess it wasn't all relaxing. Since we were preparing food for about 15 people, they put me (and everyone) to work. I was put in charge of tearing lettuce apart for the Salad. A fairly easy task, or so I thought. I opened the sealed plastic bag, and started tearing apart the lettuce. When I was about half-way through, one of the guys asked me if I had washed it. I said, "no." I guess I should have known, I mean, I grew up in a household where my mother washes everything (haha, even canned goods!), but for some reason I figured that since it was in a sealed bag, it was probably good to go. But, I did as was suggested, and went to wash it...little piece, by little piece. Then, as I was rinsing it off, the home owner came rushing over and said "oh! Don't use the tap water, I mean, nothing bad will happen, it's good water, but its better to use this" (signaling two 2 liter bottles of bottled water). Go figure. I finally go to wash the lettuce, and what do I do? Use the wrong water. I probably made the lettuce dirtier than it was in the first place!!! Haha However, once the lettuce was rinsed (a second time using the bottled water), we went to work adding tomatos, avocados, peppers, and oil and vinegar. I have to say, it was one very delicious salad.


After munching on potato chips and a variety of nuts, the salad, and some finger food (consisting of bits of chicken and pork), we moved on to the Paella. This was by no means my first Paella, but it was very good and very different than others I have eaten. Paella tends not only to vary by region (for example, it is prepared slightly differently in the north of spain than in Andalucia), but also vary in type; some are purely made of shellfish, some only have meat (chicken, pork, rabbit, etc), many are a combination of shellfish and meat, and yet others are purely vegetarian. This one, however, was kind of a combination of all types. It included mussles, prawns, calamari, rabbit, chicken, beans of all types, red and green peppers,and of course, the most necessary ingredient, rice! I ate everything but the rabbit (and chicken), because I was unable to distinguish between the two types of meat, and I couldn't quite bring myself to eat a darling little rabbit. Aside from that small issue, it was delicious and I enjoyed it very much!

After the Paella (as if we needed more food!), we had some chocolate flan made by two of the other auxiliares de conversacion for dessert. And after dessert, came coffee (well, a few decided to jump right in and enjoyed some rum and coke instead!). As the afternoon wound down, we listened to one of the guys play the guitar and sang a few traditional Spanish tunes. It was the perfect ending to a great Paella! All in all, I couldn't have asked for better company, better food, or better views of the town. It was a truly fantastic, and authentic Spanish day in the "campo"!

* * * * * * * * * * *
Después de un día muy largo el sábado, en lo cual disfruté de las festivales del Carnaval en Ubrique, el domingo decidí pasar un día un poco más relajante. Así que, fui con unos amigos y unos maestros del Instituto a un campo encantador para hacer una Paella (una comida muy tipica de España).

Bueno, supongo que no fue un dia totalmente relajado. Como tuvimos que preparar comida para aproximadamente 15 personas, ellos me ponen (bueno, y a todos) a trabajar. Yo estaba en cargo de romper lechuga y partirlo para la Ensalada. Una tarea bastante fácil,o así lo pensé. Abrí la bolsa plastic en la cual estaba la lechuga, y comencé partiendo la lechuga. Cuándo casi habia terminado, uno de los chicos me preguntó si yo la había lavado. Dije wue no. Deberio haberlo sabido, quiero decir, crecí en una casa donde mi madre lava todo (jaja, aún las latas y botellas que contienen comida!), pero para alguna razón pensé que como la lechuga estaba en una bolsa sellada, no tendría que lavarlo. Pero, al final, lo hice como me dijeron, y fui a lavarlo – cada pedazo por cada pedazo pequeñito. Entonces, mientras que estaba lavando la lechuga, el propietario vino corriendo y me dijo que no debe utilizar el agua del grifo, y que, aunque nada malo sucedería, que era agua potable, pero era major utilizar estas, (señalando a dos botellas grande de agua). Vaya! Jaja Primero no estaba haciendolo bien porque no llavé la lechuga, y después que hago yo…pues nada menos que utilizar el agua equivocada. ¡Yo probablemente hice la lechuga más sucia que fue en primer lugar!!! Jaja Sin embargo, una vez que la lechuga fue limpia (lavado por el agua embotellada) y lista para la ensalada, añadimos tomates, aguacates, pimientas, y el aceite, el vinagre, y la sal. Tengo que decir que fue una ensalada super deliciosa. La lechuga, la mejor parte .

Después de comer algunas patatas fritas y una variedad de frutos secors, la ensalada, y algunos pinchitos (de pollo y cerdo), pasamos a la Paella. Esto no fue mi primera Paella, pero fue muy buena y muy diferente de otros que yo he comido. La paella tiende no sólo variar por la región (por ejemplo, es preparado de forma distinta en el norte de España que en Andalucia), pero también varía en el tipo; algunas son hecho solo de mariscos, algunos sólo tienen carne (pollo, cerdo, conejo, etc), algunas son una combinación de mariscos y carne, y otras son puramente vegetarianos. Esta paella fue, sin embargo, una combinación de todas. Incluyó mejillones, gambas, calamari, conejo, pollo, alubias de toda clase, pimientos rojos y pimentones verdes, y por supuesto, el ingrediente más necesario, el arroz. Comí todo menos el conejo (y el pollo), porque no pude distinguirse entre los dos tipos de carne, y no podría traerme para comer un querido conejo pequeño. ¡Aparte de ese pequeño asunto, fue delicioso y disfruté de la paella!

Después de la Paella (como si necesitáramos más comida jaja!), comimos un flan de chocolate hecho por dos de los otros auxiliares de conversación. Y luego, había vino y café (bueno, unos pocos decidieron saltar el café y en su lugar disfrutaron de ron con cola). Mientras empezaba atardecer, escuchamos a uno de los chicos tocando la guitarra y cantábamos unas pocas canciones tradicionales en español. ¡Fue la conclusión perfecta a una gran Paella! En total, yo no podría haber pedido mejor compañía, mejor alimento, ni mejores vistas del pueblo. ¡Fue un día sinceramente fantástico y auténtico español en el "campo"!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What an awesome day. Mmm paella...