Monday, February 15, 2010

The Second Weekend of CARNAVAL - Cadiz Adventure

English up top/Español abajo

A few weeks ago I was invited by Erin, one of my friends living in Cadiz, to stay in her flat in and experience Spain's most famous and craziest Carnaval celebration. So, I jumped at the opportunity...

I woke up early Friday morning, and got to work on my costume. After all, you CANNOT go to Cadiz Carnaval without a costume. Since Erin and some of her friends were dressing up as characters from Alice and Wonderland, we decided I should be one of the walking card know, the ones that sing:

"We're painting the roses red
we're painting the roses red
We dare not stop
Or waste a drop
So let the paint be spread
We're painting the roses red
We're painting the roses red..."

For a total of 7 euros, I made a lovely little costume. It just took some white poster-board, a big marker, some ribbon (which I had saved from Mom and Dad's Christmas gifts to me), lots of staples, some contact laminate, and a black hat and gloves. I finished making my costume around 2:00 o'clock, quickly packed up my overnight bag, and despite the torrential downpour, hopped on the 6:00 o'clock bus to Cadiz, optimistic and very hopeful that it wouldn't rain during Saturday's festivities.

I arrived a little after 8:00 o'clock, and made my way to my friend's apartment. Once there, a few others came over, and we had a mini costume making party. Around 10:30ish, we heard some noise out the window...and when we looked five stories down, saw a man lying flat on his back (clearly passed out) surrounded by three policemen. After several failed attempts to position the man upright, two more policemen came and "escorted" (aka carried) him to the police van. It was quite the drama...we were all glued to the window. Apparently someone forgot to tell him the party did not start until Saturday... And while all of that was happening, a woman on her little scooter, wearing a pink helmet, while fully stopped at the stoplight, randomly tipped over. Two policemen rushed over to help her up...and she slowly recovered from the embarrasment and made her way down the road. After all the Friday night drama, we began working on and adding the finishing touches to our costumes. Then we ate dinner (home-made lentils made by Erin!) and watched the chirigotas, comparsas, cuartetos, and choirs perfom in the finals at the famous Falla Theater. Around 2:30 am, we decided it was best we all went to bed since we had a big day and a big night ahead of us.

Around 8:00 am the next morning, Saturday, we looked out the window and it was pouring, absolutely pouring. But by 10:30 or so, it had stopped...and a wee bit of blue sky began to shine through the weary gray clouds. We were all thrilled! After a relaxing morning at the flat, we headed out to get some groceries and beverages for our party on Saturday night. Then around 3:00 o'clock, headed to the main parade (full of floats with all the Carnaval chirigotas/comparsas/choirs). The streets were packed, confetti was all over, and beer, wine, and tapas were prevalent. Three of us had the fortune of being called up on one of the floats, and as it turns out, made it on TV (on TeleCinco)!!! :) Aka, we're famous! haha

After a pleasant several hours in the street, we meandered back to the flat and had a mini flat party. At 10:00 pm, we got the entire group together, all in all about 15 people (including about 6 Spaniards), and headed out in our costumes ready for an entire night of Carnaval fun!! Along with characters from Alice and Wonderland, we had some pirates, a pinguin, some vikings, Batman, etc... After the hour-long walk down the main avenue in the freezing cold we made it to the "Casco Antiguo" (historic district). According to Spanish newspapers, over 320,000 people were in Cadiz on Saturday night - and all of them in costumes, with lots of alcohol and confetti, spread throughout the narrow streets and plazas of Cadiz's historic district. I'm proud to say I was one of those 320,000 crazy people living life to its fullest and braving the cold. :)

We spent the evening and wee hours of the morning laughing, dancing, meeting people from all over Spain (and the US and Europe), drinking, eating, and just being part of CARNAVAL! The crowds started to shrink slightly as the morning wore on, and so we decided to catch a bus back home around 5:30 in the morning. There were so many people with the same idea, however, that we had to wait in a massive line before we could even catch the bus. Once home, I immediately hit the bed, and three hours later, woke up, got dressed, made myself somewhat presentable, and hopped on a bus back to Ubrique at 10:00 am. Tired as heck, I tried to sleep on the bus, but wasn't quite able to do so. Once I got home, I showered, did laundry, and took a brief nap. I had some things to do, so really couldn't spend the day sleeping...but I must admit, I was in bed and sound asleep by 10:00 pm Sunday night. :)

Couldn't have asked for a more wonderful or more fun-filled weekend! The weather was great (well, considering that it didn't rain and that we actually had a glimpse of sunshine for an hour or so), the Carnaval experience was as authentic as could be, and the hospitality and accomodation provided by Erin and her roommates couldn't have been better. All I have to say now is, "I LIVED CARNAVAL CADIZ 2010 to its fullest! Woot Woot!!"

* * * * * * * * * * *
Hace algunos semanas, Erin, una de mis amigas que vive en Cádiz me inivitó para quedarme en su piso y experimentar la celebración más famosa y más loca de Carnaval en España. Así, aproveché de la oportunidad...

Me desperté temprano el viernes por la mañana para hacer mi disfraz. No se puede ir al carnaval de Cádiz sin un disfraz!! Desde que Erin y algunos de sus amigos decidieron disfrazarse como los caracteres de Alicia en país de las maravillas, nosotros decidimos que debo ser una de las cartas...sabes?...las que cantan:
Todos a trabajar,
las rosas hay que pintar
y todas rojas quedarán,
muy lindas se verán.
Las rosas hay que pintar,
muy rojas han de quedar.
Para solo siete euros, hice un disfraz encantador. Solo tenía que comprar/usar cartulina blanca, un marcador grande, us lazo (que había guardado de los regalos que me enviaron mis padres por navidad), muchas grapas, algún contacto lamina, y un sombrero y guantes negros. Terminé haciendo mi disfraz alrededor de las 14:00, hice mis maletas rápidamente por el fin de semana, y a pesar del aguacero torrencial, cogí el autobús a Cádiz a las 18:00, muy optimista que no llovería durante las festividades del sábado.

Llegué un poco después de las 20:00, y fui al piso de mi amiga. Una vez allí, otros amigos vinieron y tuvimos una "mini fiesta" de hacer los disfrazes. Alrededor de 22:30, oímos algún ruido fuera de la ventana, y cuando miramos cinco plantas abajo vimos a un hombre que estaba de espaldas (se desmayó claramente) rodeado por tres policías. Después de varias intentos fallados de posicionar al hombre vertical, dos más policías vinieron y "acompañaron" (alias llevado) él a la camioneta de la policía. Fue bastante interesante, jaja, estuvimos "pegado" a la ventana mirando lo que estaba sucediendo. Aparentemente alguien se olvidó de decirle al hombre que la fiesta no comenzó hasta el sábado...jaja. Y mientras todo ese sucedía, una mujer en su moto pequeño, llevando un casco rosa, mientras completamente parado enfrente del semaforo, volcó al caer. Dos policías fueron corriendo a ayudarla y ella recuperó lentamente y con verguenza, avanzó conduciendo otra vez. Después de todo la drama de esta noche, seguimos trabajando y terminando los toques finales a nuestros disfraces. Entonces comimos la cena (lentejas hechas a mano por Erin)! y vimos las actuaciones de las chirigotas, comparsas, cuartetos, y de los coros en el final en el famoso Teatro de Falla. Alrededor de 2:30, decidimos que era una buena idea acostarnos porque tendriamos un día grande y una noche grande adelante de nosotros.

Alrededor de las 8:00 de la mañana el sábado, miramos desde la ventana, y una manta de agua estaba cayendo! Pero a las 10:30 más o menos, había parado. Menos mal! Y un poco de cielo azul comenzó a brillar detras de las nubes grises fatigadas. ¡Estuvimos super contentas! Después de una mañana relajante en el piso, fuimos al Dia para comprar algunos comestibles y las bebidas para nuestra fiesta el sábado por la noche. Entonces, alrededor de las 15:00, fuimos a ver el desfile (lleno de flotadores con todas las chirigotas de Carnaval/comparsas/los coros etc). Las calles fueron empacadas, habia confeti por todas partes, y la cerveza, el vino, y las tapas fueron predominantes. ¡Tres de nosotros tuvimos la fortuna de ser llamado en uno de los flotadores, y subimos, y parece que hemos salido en la tele (en TeleCinco) segun algunos amigos mios que me han dicho que me han visto !!! :) Jaja, somos famosos!

Después de unas horas agradables en la calle, regresamos al piso y tuvimos una fiesta. A las 22:00, salimos del piso - el grupo entero, de aproximadamente 15 personas (inclusive aproximadamente 6 españoles) - y fuimos andando por la calle en nuestros disfraces, todos preparadoas por por una noche entera de diversión y de celebración de Carnaval!! Junto con nosotors (disfrazado como personajes de Alicia en el País de las maravillas), habia algunos piratas, un pinguin, algunos vikingos, el Batman, etc.. Andamos por una horita en el frío por la avenida principal hasta que llegamos al "Casco Antiguo" de Cadiz. Según periódicos españoles, más de 320.000 personas estuvieron en Cádiz el sábado por la noche - y todos en disfraces, con mucho alcohol y confeti, esparcen a través de las calles y plazas estrechas del distrito histórico de Cádiz. Estoy orgullosa decir que fui uno de esas 320.000 personas locas que vivian la vida a su más lleno y afrontaron el frío de la noche. :)

Gastamos la noche y las altas horas de la mañana ríendonos, bailando, conociendo a nuevas personas de todas partes de España (y EEUU y Europa), bebiendo, comiendo, y formando parte del CARNAVAL! Las multitudes comenzaron a encogerse ligeramente como las horas de la mañana pasaban, y así que decidimos coger un autobús al piso alrededor de las 5:30 por la mañana. Había tantas personas con la misma idea que tuvimos que esperar en una cola grandísima antes que podamos coger el autobús. Una vez que en casa, me acosté inmediatamente, y tres horas mas tarde, me desperté, me vesti, me hice mas o menos presentable, y cogi el autobús para Ubrique a las 10:00. Cansada como demonia, intenté dormir en el autobús, pero no pudo. Una vez que yo llegué a casa, yo me duché, lavé mi ropa, y tomé una siesta breve. Tuve algunas cosas para hacer, así que realmente no podría gastar el día durmiendo, jaja, pero tengo que admitir que estuve en la cama dormida a las 21:00 la noche del domingo. :)

¡No podría haber pedido un fin de semana más maravilloso ni más lleno de diversión! El tiempo hacia bueno (bien, teniendo en cuenta que no llovió y que tuvimos realmente una vislumbre de sol por una horita), la experiencia de Carnaval fue tan auténtica como podría ser, y la hospitalidad de mi amiga Erin y sus compañeras de piso no podría haber sido mejor!!!


Debakamom said...

What a fun beginning to Carnival; wish I was celebrating it with you. Cool costumes, I especially loved you hat and the "striped cat".

Lisa said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! :) Sure beats Halloween in Granada 2006! ;)

Erin said...

what a weekend!!

and i heard about telecinco too! AWESOME. los famosos de cadiz.....guiritanas....we should write a chirigota.

wanna come back next weekend? ;)