Friday, May 14, 2010

Excursion a Sevilla :)

English up top/Español abajo

This Wednesday, I went on a field-trip to Sevilla with my students in first and second grade. We filled up two buses between the roughly 80 students, 4 teachers, myself, and the other auxiliar de conversacion. With kids, bus rides are always...interesting. I can't tell you how many times they asked what town we were near, if we were in Sevilla yet, how much longer, etc. And of course, we did have a few poor little buggers who got car sick...but luckily we were prepared with lots of plastic bags. :)

Once in Sevilla we stopped to eat a quick snack, and then hopped on a river boat for a nice, leisurely cruise and tour along the Rio Guadalquivir. We were the first ones on the boat, and immediately directed all the kids up to the front of the top deck (where they would have the best views).  The boat erupted with applauses when it finally started moving, and there was a mix of emotions - excitement, nervousness, fear, awe - on the students' faces. But...of course, as seems to be the norm in first and second grade, it is pretty hard to keep their attention for more than 20-30 minutes. After about a half hour, the kids were running around the top deck, going down to use the restrooms, and chatting and screaming amongst themselves without even noticing the passing scenery or narration coming from the boat's speakers.  It was all-in-all a pleasant excursion...until I managed to break one of the plastic deck chairs.  Don't get me wrong, it didn't turn unpleasant by any means...it just took an awkward/embarrassing/hilarious turn.  :)  When Antonio (one of my first graders) went down to the main deck to use the restroom, I stole his seat.  I was chatting with another teacher when he came back. I told him he could sit on my lap/knees for the remaining few minutes of the trip. No sooner had he jumped on my knees than the chair leg popped, and I went slamming into the ground. Antonio was perfectly fine...after all, I was his cushion. He just looked around (without getting off of me) and said "que ha pasado??" (what just happened??).  I responded by saying...well, the chair broke, and here we are sitting on the floor. He started laughing, then finally got up, which allowed me to get up.  No one aside from the students and teachers next to me noticed anything, but those that did were laughing uncontrollably...but, then again, so was I.  Go figure...

After the boat ride, we unloaded and took off for a stroll around the historic center of Sevilla.  We stopped off at the famous Cathedral, and even walked up the 36 ramps to the top of the giralda (bell tower).  After a good 20 minutes admiring the views, we headed back down. We then proceeded to a main square to grab some lunch. Erinn and I went off with two of the teachers to grab lunch and a quick drink, while the other two teachers watched the kids. Then we switched off.

After taking a quick ride on the new Tranvia (tram system) we spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the infamous Plaza de España and playing in the nearby Parque de María Luisa (Park).  After treating the kids to ice-cream, we headed back to the bus loading zone...and at 7:00 pm were back in Ubrique.  It was quite an exhausting, but lovely, day! And it reminded me how much I truly love Sevilla...in the past two years I've driven through it a lot, gone to the aiport, and/or stopped off at the bus or train station, but I really haven't just spent a day in Sevilla since 2006.  I think I enjoyed myself more than the kids...but then again, I'm only 23, so I'm still young...

* * * * * *
Este miercoles, fui a Sevilla con mis alumnos de primero y segundo. Llenamos dos autobuses entre los aproximadamente 80 alumnos, 4 profesores, yo y la otra auxiliare de conversación. Con niños, los viajes en autobús siempre son interesantes... No puedo deciros cuántas veces me preguntaron en qué ciudad estába cerca, si estuviéramos en Sevilla, cuánto tiempo quedaba, etc. Y por supuesto, tuvimos unos cuantos pobrecitos que se marearon... pero por suerte estábamos preparados con una gran cantidad de bolsas de plástico. :)

Una vez en Sevilla fuimos a una plazita para comer un bocadillo. Luego, nos subimos a un barco para realizar un crucero y recorrido del Río Guadalquivir. Entramos los primeros en el barco, e inmediatamente llevamos a todos los niños hasta la parte delantera de la segunda planta (donde se tienen las mejores vistas). Habia muchos aplausos cuando el barco finalmente comenzó a moverse, y hubo una mezcla de emociones - excitación, nerviosismo, miedo, asombro - en las caras de los alumnos. Pero...por supuesto, como parece ser la norma con los de primero y segundo, es muy difícil mantener su atención durante más de 20-30 minutos. Después de aproximadamente media hora, los niños corrían por todos sitios, bajaban para entrar en los servicios, y charlaban y gritaban entre ello sin darse cuenta del bonito paisaje o la narración procedente de los altavoces del barco.  Sin embargo, fue una excursión muy agradable...hasta que logré romper una de las sillas de plástico. No me malinterpreteis, no resultó desagradable...sino solo un poco incómoda, vergonzoso, y hilarante. :) Cuando Antonio (uno de mis alumnos de primero) ue a los servicios, me senté en su asiento. Estaba hablando con otro profesor cuando regresó. Le dije que podía sentarse en mis rodillas por los pocos minutos que nos quedaban del viaje. Tan pronto como saltó sobre mis rodillas que la pata de la silla rompió, y me fui chocando contra el suelo. Antonio estaba perfectamente bien ... después de todo, yo era su "cojín." Él sólo miró a su alrededor (sin quitarse de encima) y me dijo que "¿Qué ha pasado?" Le respondi, "Bueno, la silla se rompió, y aquí estamos sentados en el suelo!" Él se echó a reír, y finalmente se levantó, lo que permitió que me levantara. Nadie, aparte de los alumnos y profesores junto a mi lado se dio cuenta, pero los que me vieron, estaban muriendo de risa...pero nopasa nada porque yo también me estaba riendo. Vaya ...

Después del viaje en barco, fuimos a dar un paseo por el centro histórico de Sevilla. Entramos en la famosa catedral, e incluso subimos a los 36 rampas de acceso a la parte superior de la Giralda. Después de unos veinte minutos admirando las vistas, bajamos. A continuación, fuimos a una plaza principal para comer. Erinn y yo fuimos con dos de los cuatro maestros a comer y tomar algo, mientras que los otros dos maestros, vigilaban los niños.  

Después de montarnos en el nuevo tranvia, pasamos el resto de la tarde explorando la Plaza de España y jugando en el Parque de María Luisa. Después de invitar a los niños a algunos helados, regresamos a la zona de carga y autobuses. A las 19:00 estuvimos ya en Ubrique. Fue un día agotador, pero un día! Y me recordó del bonito que es Sevilla.  En los últimos dos años he estado mucho en Sevilla, pero solo para ir al aeropuerto, a la estación de autobuses, o de tren.  En realidad no he visitado Sevilla solo para pasar el día desde que mi primera vez ahi en 2006. Creo que he disfrutado más de los niños... pero por otro lado, sólo tengo 23, así que todavía soy una niña (por lo menos joven, jaja)...

No comments: