Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday in the "Campo"

English up top / Español abajo

I will be leaving Ubrique one month from today. Wow. That is incredibly hard to believe... Anyway, since my time here is quickly winding down, I recently made a list of some 15 or so things that I wanted to do before I left. One of them was to experience what I consider to be a true Spanish Sunday; spending the entire day with family and friends picnic-ing in the campo (countryside). Lucky for me, one of my good friends, Montse, invited me to spend the day with her family and friends in the merendero de Benaocaz, so, I did just that.

I met up with Montse, her boyfriend, family, and her friends around 12:00 noon. We drove up to Benaocaz (the neighboring town, only 3 km away), and proceeded on down to the picnic area. There were already some people there preparing the food...so we jumped right in to help. We made migas (a very typical Spanish dish made from dried or leftover bread crumbled up and mixed with peppers, onions, garlic, olive oil, and pan-fried until its all mushed together), chorizo al vino (chorizo sausage slowly simmered in wine), and carne con salsa (meat in a sauce). While we were cooking, we also enjoyed a few typical Spanish tapas, such as tomatoes with tuna, onions, and a bit of vinagar, cheese, potato chips, and various types of sausage. I have to say, I am 100% certain that no one went hungry today... 

We took our time eating and enjoying the feast. Then we all just relaxed in the sunshine. We eventually started playing Spanish Naipes (cards) and then decided to go for a leisurely stroll to an old fountain/watering-hole. Once we got back to the picnic area, it was time to merendar (have a snack). We all had nocilla (homemade!) with bread (nocilla is a hazlenut and chocolate spread...similar to nutella, but much better!). After a while, we decided we should go on a bit of a hike to use up some of our energy from all the delicious food we'd eaten. So, we took off along an old road/trail, and headed up the mountain. Along the way, we ran into an adorable rabbit...and further up the mountain, a not so adorable viper crossed our path. However, the view from the top was well worth it. We spent a few minutes just looking down on Ubrique and admiring the countryside. And I spent a couple minutes just soaking it all in, realizing that today was probably the last aerial view of Ubrique that I would have for who knows how long...

When we finally got back to Ubrique, it was after 20:00. I have to admit I got back pretty exhausted, but happy as a clam! Days like today, spent with my Spanish friends and experiencing a truly typical Spanish/Ubriqueno Sunday, are unforgettable and make up some of my best memories of my two years here in Ubrique. It also reminds me how much I truly have fallen in love with this culture, town, and the people...and how difficult it is going to be for me to leave. But I will never really be gone...I will always have these memories etched in my heart and in my mind, and I will be back here to visit as soon as possible.

* * * * * * * *
Me voy de Ubrique dentro de un mes. Oju. Es increíblemente difícil de creer... De todos modos, ya que mi tiempo aquí esta acabando rápidamente, hice un lista de unos 15 cositas que quería hacer antes de irme. Uno de ellos era de experimentar lo que yo considero un verdadero "domingo español"; pasar el día entero haciendo un picnic con la familia y amigos en el campo. He ido muchas veces con un grupo de amigos para hacer senderismo, y siempre desayunamos super bien...pero tambien tenia ganas de irme a un merendero/campo y pasar el dia ahi tranquilamente.  Por suerte, uno de mis buenas amigas, Montse, me invitó a pasar el día con su familia y amigos en el merendero de Benaocaz, asi que, hice exactamente eso.

Me encontré con Montse, su novio, su familia y sus amigos acerca de 12:00 del mediodía. Fuimos en coche hasta el merender de Benaocaz.  Cuando llegamos, ya había algunas personas empezando preparar la comida...así que inmediatamente fuimos a ayudar. Hicimos migas (un plato típico español que tiene trozos secos de pan o pan desmenuzado y mezclado con pimientos, cebolla, ajo, aceite de oliva, y frito en sartén, hasta que todo se pone junto), chorizo al vino (chorizo lentamente a fuego lento en vino ), y carne con salsa (carne con una salsa especial). Mientras estábamos cocinando, también disfrutamos de unas pocas tapas típicas españolas, como el tomate con atún, cebolla y un poco de vinagre, queso, papas fritas, y varios tipos de salchichas. Tengo que decir que estoy 100% seguro de que nadie pasaba hambre hoy ...

Nos tomamos nuestro tiempo comiendo, disfrutando de todo. Luego, estuvimos relajando bajo del sol. Finalmente comenzamos jugando naipes (como cartas) y luego decidimos ir a dar un paseo a una antigua fuente/abrevadero. Una vez que regresamos al merendero, ya era hora de merendar. Todos teníamos nocilla (hecho en casa!) con pan (nocilla es una crema de chocolate y avellanas, parecido a nutella, pero mucho mejor!). Después de un rato, decidimos que deberíamos ir por otro paseo. Así que, seguimos un antiguo camino, y subimos la montaña. En el camino, nos encontramos con un conejo adorable...y más arriba en la montaña, una víbora, no tan adorable, cruzó por nuestro camino. Sin embargo, la vista desde la parte superior mereció la pena. Pasamos unos cuantos minutos mirando hacia Ubrique y admirando el paisaje. Y pasé un par de minutos absorbiéndolo todo, dandome cuenta de que hoy ha sido probablemente la última vista aérea de Ubrique que tendría por mucho tiempo.

Llegamos de nuevo a Ubrique acerca de las 20:00. Tengo que admitir que me volví bastante agotada, pero feliz como una perdiz! Días como hoy, que he pasado con mis amigos españoles y he experimentado un domingo típico español/Ubriqueño, son inolvidables y constituyen algunos de mis mejores recuerdos de mis dos años aquí en Ubrique. También me recuerda de lo mucho que me he enamorada con esta cultura, pueblo, y la gente...y lo difícilisimo que va a ser que me vaya. Pero en realidad nunca voy a irme...siempre tendré esos recuerdos grabados en mi corazón y en mi mente, y voy a estar de vuelta para visitar lo más pronto posible.

No comments: